You are kindly invited to the next OWASP Belgium chapter meeting on March 6 in Leuven. This event is co-organized with SecAppDev 2012.
• 18h00 – 18h45: Welcome & Pizzas
• 18h45 – 19h00: OWASP Update (by S.Deleersnyder, SAIT Zenitel, OWASP Board)
• 19h00 – 20h00: Common iOS Pitfalls vs. OWASP’s iGoat (by Ken van Wyk, KRvW Associates)
• 20h00 – 20h15: Break
• 20h15 – 21h15: Access Control Design Best Practices (by J.Manico, WhiteHat Security)
Hosted by Distrinet Research Group (KU Leuven). Co-organized with SecAppDev 2012.
More information can be found at https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Belgium#Chapter_Meetings.
In the context of the Global Android Dev Camp 2012, a hackathon that already 50 Android developer groups worldwide joined so far, the Brussels GTUG under the lead of Friedger Müffke, organises the Belgian edition of the event. Novice and advanced developers are welcome.
- Saturday 10:00: Presentation of project ideas
- Coding and listening to livestreams from other user groups
- Sunday 18:00: Presentation of results, prizes and start of public voting
Rue de la Tribune 8
Tel: 02 2180400
Costs (still looking for sponsors) : 15€ per Person on-site
Think global. Hack local. 48 hours straight. Enjoy!
25th of January 2012 18h-21h00
Location is sponsored by Cisco Belgium.
Location: Cisco, Pegasus Park, De Kleetlaan, 6A, B-1831 Diegem. See directions.
- 18h00 – 18h30: Welcome & Sandwiches
- 18h30 – 18h45: OWASP Update (by Sebastien Deleersnyder, SAIT Zenitel, OWASP Board)
- 18h45 – 19h45: devops, secops, devsec or *ops ? A gentle introduction to Devops (by Kris Buytaert, Inuits)
- This talk will summarize the different ideas behind devops, and will show that this goes beyond tooling and becomes a way of thinking, where ultimately everybody will stand together to support the business.
- Some call this phenomenon devops, others hate the word and want to call it *ops or ops* , truth is that agile techniques used in development have an impact on the way operations organizes it work. Similar, operations and sysadmins are becoming programmers because of the virtualization and automation trend where everything is managed through an API. And security is imvolved everywhere.
- Kris Buytaert is a long time Linux and Open Source Consultant. He’s one of instigators of the devops
- movement, currently working for Inuits. Kris is the Co-Author of Virtualization with Xen, used to be the maintainer of the openMosix HOWTO and author of different technical publications. He is frequently speaking at, or organizing different international conferences. He spends most of his time working on Linux Clustering (both High Availability, Scalability and HPC), Virtualisation and Large Infrastructure Management projects hence trying to build infrastructures that can survive the 10th floor test, better known today as the cloud while actively promoting the devops idea ! His blog titled “Everything is a Freaking DNS Problem” can be found at http://www.krisbuytaert.be/blog/
- 19h45 – 20h00: Break
- 20h00 – 21h00: Hardening web applications against malware attacks (by Erwin Geirnaert, Zion Security)
- During this presentation we give an overview of how we can harden web applications against different types of attacks used by malware to bypass the existing security controls in the web application. We discuss the OWASP Top 10 and how malware can abuse these attacks and how the developer must implement a different strategy. We explain why (mobile) browser security is an important aspect of web application hardening and most importantly that the battle against malware is an ongoing battle. For every countermeasure the security industry develops to protect web applications and is used by a lot of companies today we will show how malware is being developed to bypass these solutions. To finalize we give some advice on how to protect against these malware attacks, using pro-active and detective controls.
- Erwin Geirnaert founded ZION SECURITY in 2005 to help companies to protect against the latest threats, attacks against web applications. ZION SECURITY is nowadays a Belgian market leader in the field of security testing, vulnerability management, penetration testing and banking security. Erwin has more than 10 years of experience in web security, graduating with a Master of Science in Software Development from the University of Ghent. Erwin executes different types of projects for a lot of international software companies, financial institutions, telecom and web agencies. Specialist in executing code reviews in different development languages for critical applications, executing continuous penetration tests of their infrastructure and Internet applications. A specialist in J2EE security, .NET security and web services security. Erwin architects secure e-business projects for web agencies and software companies. He is a recognized application security expert and speaker at international events like Javapolis, OWASP, Eurostar,
Please register via https://www.regonline.com/owasp-belgium-2012-01-25
**After Event Update**
MongoDB Brussels is a free evening meetup dedicated to the open source, non-relational database MongoDB. Follow the #mongodbbrussels hashtag for important updates before and during the event.
Sponsored and organised by 10gen.
Monday, February 6, 2012 from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM (ET)
Whitte Patersstraat 4
Brussels, IL 02 737 67 11
Entry is free, registration required: https://www.eventbrite.com/event/2723834061/
Event details here: http://www.10gen.com/events/mongodb-brussels
We would like to invite you to our next event on Thu, February 2nd 2012, 18:30 to 21:30 in Brussels, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Building Hermes, 4th floor, Room 4219. As usual, the session is in English and the entry is free (limited seats, please register). Give-aways: 2 Structure-Licenses.
This time, we have two very famous speakers with us, coming from the UK, right for you (and the FOSDEM ;): Ben Evans and Martijn Verburg
All details about the session, speakers and the topic: http://wiki.brussels-jug.be/doku.php?id=events2:2012_02_session1
All this is possible due to our official JUG sponsors: CTS, Oracle, TRASYS Group, Megabanner.be and Structure 101.
We are proud to announce that new sponsor decided to support the BruJUG project: Mega Banner
Megabanner is a company specialised in outdoor advertising of all kind, digital printing in over-sizes, printed screens and light walls. Perfect if you want to be REALLY visible at a exhibition or on the street!
5th BigData & NoSQL Meetup, January 11, 2012, 6:30 PM. Place: Accenture, Waterloolaan 16, Brussel.
The following agenda is confirmed, which will please both newcomers and more experienced big data geeks:
- Welcome to the Age of Data by Steven Noels
Introduction to Big Data and Hadoop
- Hadoop and HBase in action by Klaas Bosteels
Practical use cases from Last.fm and Massive Media
- Introduction to Graph databases by Davy Suvee
Event Info: http://www.meetup.com/bigdatabe/events/39714022/
BigData BE Community: http://bigdata.be/